Makhana kheer is a creamy Indian pudding made using puffed lotus seeds (phool makhana), milk, sugar, and dry-fruits. It is a delicious dessert which can be served on any occasion especially for vrat or fasting days.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add in cashew nuts and almond and cook for around 4-5 minutes or until it turns golden brown in colour. Remove from flame and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add makhana and roast until it absorbs all the ghee or golden brown.
- Divide the makhana in two parts. Crush half the quantity of makhana and reserve the rest. keep them aside.
- Boil the milk then turn the flame to medium low.
- now add milk powder, saffron, roasted dry fruits. and cardamom powder.
- Add the crushed part to the milk, followed by the whole makhana.
- Keep stirring the milk constantly. When the makhana has turned soft, add sugar. Mix well and cook for 4-5 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Serve the makhana kheer hot or chilled.