Garlic & onion for idli & dosa an easy and simple condiment recipe made with roasted onion and garlic pods. It is perhaps one of the versatile chutney recipes which are not just limited to morning breakfast, but also for lunch and dinner. the chutney is prepared with just onion shallots and whole garlic.
Tadka /Fry: –
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan. Lower the heat, Add 1 cup of chopped onions and ¼ to ½ garlic (1 to 2 small or medium garlic cloves).
Red onions, white onions or yellow onions, all work well in the recipe.
- Sauté onions on a low to medium heat and stir continuously.
- Then add 2 to 3 Kashmiri red chilies (broken or halved and seeds removed). Stir and fry for some seconds till you see the chilies change colour and become aromatic.
- Fry on a low heat, so that the chilies do not get burnt. Kashmiri red chilies give a nice colour and are not too spicy.
(You can also use byadagi red chilies. If you are using medium hot or very hot red chilies then add less.)
- Sauté until the onions turn light golden. Then switch off the heat and let the onions cool at room temperature.
- Next transfer the entire onion mixture into a mixer-grinder or a small blender. Add ¼ teaspoon of dried tamarind, ¼ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder, and salt to taste.
- (If you do not have this dried tamarind add ⅛ teaspoon of bottled or packaged tamarind sauce or as needed.)
- Add ¼ cup of water and grind ingredients into a smooth paste. Set aside for later.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil on a low heat in the same pan. Then, add ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds and cook them until they start to crackle.
- Once the mustard seeds crackle, add 1 teaspoon of chana dal Then add ½ teaspoon of urad dal and add 5 to 6 curry leaves.
- Fry for a few seconds until the curry leaves become crisp.
TIPS -You can use sunflower oil, peanut oil or gingelly oil (oil made from raw sesame seeds) or any neutral oil.
- Keep the heat to a low and add the grind chutney.
- Mix the chutney with the tempering ingredients.
- Add ¼ to ⅓ cup of water. I poured water to the blender jar, swirled it around and added the water into the pan.
- Mix very well and then switch off the heat.
- now serve with south indian dishes and enjoy this chutney.
Blend Sautéed Ingredients
Storage and Leftovers
Store any leftovers in a covered container for 1 to 2 days. I would not suggest to make ahead a large batch of this onion chutney. Simply make the quantity you need.The sour element in the chutney comes from tamarind. If you don’t have tamarind on hand then you can use lemon juice instead. It will taste slightly different though.